This is the time of year where the societies of Revelstoke are diligently writing grant applications to receive funds for their projects, Not for Profits and charitable organizations. The Columbia Basin Trust Community Initiative presentations took place on Tuesday, April 2nd at the community centre.
With over 100 people in attendance and 52 pitches to hear, the evening began at 7:00pm and ran until 9:30pm. Each of those 52 groups summarized in two and a half minutes what their grant application was in as well as how much money they were requesting to further their goals and achieve their mission and mandate.
Many of the petitioners were repeat applicants that represent some fine programs in our community that go all year round and support local families on a daily basis. Community Connections presented six times, all for separate and worthy causes, the Revelstoke Community Childcare Society presented for two separate and valuable programs and the Arts Council presented with hopes to maintain the high quality of work and standard that has been established in Revelstoke.
Throughout the evening, many applicants requested a nominal amount of money in comparison to larger scale projects, but the lower dollar amounts requested add up pretty fast.
The total amount that will be given from the CBT Community Initiatives Grant comes to $386,056. With the 52 applicants and their total request cost it comes to $684,348 leaving a $298,292 difference.
The City of Revelstoke will be administering the program results on behalf of the CBT and CSRD. A committee consisting of Bill MacFarland, Melissa Hemphill, Linda Chell, Diana Bostock and Cindy Maloney will review the applicants for approval. Upon the committees’ final decision, it will be then passed to the CSRD for approval and then to Council in early May.
Those in attendance were able to have a vote for the 10 programs/projects they felt deserved the money they requested and an anonymous ballot form was given to everyone to fill out. The committee will look at the results and it will make up 10% of the deciding vote.
- BC Interior Forestry Museum-Exhibit Revitalization
- Bee Awareness Society
- Girls on Ice Canada
- North Columbia Environmental Society
- Wildsight- Climate Education Program
- Community Connections- Food Bank
- Community Connections- Food Secure Revelstoke
- Community Connections-Social Justice Advocate
- Revelstoke District Humane Society
- Revelstoke Hospice Society-PALS
- Revelstoke Local Food Initiative-Revelstoke Grows
- Revelstoke Senior Citizens’ Association-Volunteer Program Coordinator
- Revelstoke Women’s Shelter-CRN
- Revelstoke Women’s Shelter-Moving Forward
- Aboriginal Friendship Society- Men’s Campfire Group
- Flying Arrow Productions-AB Project
- Flying Arrow Production- Community Musical
- Revelstoke Arts Council- Building skills, tourism and community use
- Revelstoke Arts Council-Arts Presentation
- Revelstoke Folk Music- Coffee House
- Revelstoke Heritage Railway Society
- Revelstoke Multi-Cultural Society-Carousel of Nations 2019
- Revelstoke Museum and Archives
- Revelstoke Visual Arts Society-New Exhibition Program & Signage
- Revelstoke Visual Arts Society- Luna
- Avalanche Canada-Public Outreach
- City of Revelstoke- Youth Access & Outreach
- Community Connections- Parent Support Services
- Community Connections Society-Summer Day Camp
- Community Connections Society-Youth Service Program
- Community Futures-Start Up Revelstoke
- L’Ecole Des Glaciers
- Okanagan College- Community Training Subsidies
- Open Mountains Project Society
- Revelstoke Bear Aware Society
- Revelstoke Community Childcare Society- Roots of Empathy Program
- Revelstoke Community Childcare Society- Youth Service Program
- Revelstoke Secondary School- Youth Create Challenge- WE Day
- School District 19-Breakfast Programs
- School District 19- Screen Smart
- Columbia Valley Skateboard Associations-Kovach Park Skatepark
- Farwell Splash Park Society
- Revelstoke Cycling Association- McPherson Trail Network
- Revelstoke Golf Club
- Revelstoke Nordic Ski Club
- Revelstoke Paddlesport Association
- Revelstoke Skating Club-Coaching Training
- Sage Orienteering Club
- Revelstoke Current Online Newspaper Society
- Royal Canadian Legion Branch 46
- Stoke FM Policy and Procedures
- Trout Lake BC Internet Society
Note: The dollar amounts were not published as they were not given out. Some presenters shared the amounts in which they were seeking, but not all did therefore the list of the dollars requested would be incomplete.