Wet clothing ignited by a wood stove is said to be the cause of a house fire in the 100 block of Fourth Street East.
A statement from the Revelstoke Fire-Rescue Service said the fire occurred on Saturday, March 11, at about 8:37.
“Upon arrival, fire crews quickly gained entry to the basement and extinguished the fire,” said Fire Chief Rob Girard. “The two occupants of the residence were out of the building when fire crews first arrived on scene and much of the fire was extinguished by a split water pipe caused by the fire.”
BC Hydro was also on the scene to disconnect power to the building. Firefighters extinguished and overhauled the fire in just under one hour, with no injuries to any of the 15 responding fire personnel.
Girard Emergency Social Services was activated and helped the residents find lodging. The residence did receive substantial fire and smoke damage affecting electrical wiring and plumbing.
The Fire-Rescue Service responded with two fire trucks, Tender 5 and one command vehicle.
As to the cause, the fire chief indicated that the fire was a result of wet clothing being ignited by a wood stove in the basement.