A short within an electrical wall heater forced the evacuation of Revelstoke’s Own Water and Ice Store on Friday morning.
Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services responded to a 911 call of a commercial structure fire at 11:10.
“Upon arrival, the fire was extinguished and fire crews ventilated the smoke from the building and isolated power to an electric wall heater,” said Fire Chief Rob Girard. “Both occupants of the commercial structure were out of the building when fire crews first arrived on scene. The quick action of the employees on duty with a readily available portable extinguisher made a real difference on the spread of this fire.”
He said firefighters overhauled the fire in just under 20 minutes and responded with two fire engines, ladder truck six and two command vehicles.
The chief said the fire was caused by a short within the electric wall heater itself.
Girard said everyone should not only have a working smoke alarm but a working fire extinguisher and know where it s and how to use it.
This is the third fire in town in since the beginning of December.