By Natelle Fitzgerald
Christmas lights twinkle off pottery bowls, handcrafted jewelry and colourful oil paintings as the Revelstoke Art Gallery transforms itself into a Christmas bazaar for the holidays. Work from a wide range of local artists will be for sale at the gallery’s annual Christmas Shop. The Christmas Shop opens with a reception from 6 to 9 pm this Friday.
The Christmas Shop will feature paintings, prints, jewelry, ceramics, sculpture and woodwork, all by local artists. Revelstoke Visual Arts Society (RVAS) director Jackie Pendergast says that buying from the gallery offers an alternative to more conventional, store-bought gifts. “Every piece is unique and it’s all very well-priced,” she says. The gallery will be open every day from December 13 to 24 from 12 to 4 pm.
Visitors will also have a chance to support the RVAS’s garden project by purchasing a decoration from the gallery’s Christmas tree. The decorations consist of small packages that contain adhesive flowers which can be purchased for a $5, $10, $20 or $50 donation. The flowers will then be stuck on a poster in the gallery entrance to mark the progress of the RVAS’s fundraising effort.
The garden project will feature a landscaped garden outside the gallery. The project began this year with a garden design and the installation of an irrigation system. The proposed garden will be an example of xeriscaping, a type of landscape design that aims to conserve water by using local species. Funds raised at The Christmas Shop will go towards the purchase of trees and shrubs, to be planted next spring.
There’s also lots to celebrate in the performing arts world with some great shows lined up at the Revelstoke Performing Arts Centre. Here’s a look at the holiday line-up:
- Louisiana Hayride Show. Thursday, December 11, 7:30 pm. SOLD OUT. The Louisiana Hayride Show is back in Revelstoke after wowing crowds this November. This musical extravaganza written, produced, and narrated by Lori Risling, has the very best moments and songs of the Hayride, a legendary country music radio and, later, television show, that helped launch the careers of country music’s biggest names. There are many dynamic Fun facts, lots of uplifting Christmas music and smiles for everyone.
- Jazz It Up- Christmas Food Bank Fundraiser. Saturday, December 13, 7:30 pm. Tickets $15. Revelstoke’s CommunityChoir will open this magical evening of musical performances with Christmas songs selected for their jazz and soul influences. Featured performers include gifted songstress Jacolyn Daniluck, trombone virtuoso Bob Rogers, multi-talented Back Alley Jazz, a brand new RSS Jazz Band and the one and only Relative Jazz. This is a festive community occasion not to be missed and is a fundraiser for the local Revelstoke Food Bank.
- CPR Holiday Train. The CPR’s special festive train arrives at 4:45 pm with its annual gift to the Community Connections Food Bank as well as entertainment by Tracey Brown and Jim Cuddy. Please don’t forget to bring your own contribution to help out the food bank!
- Four Gifts- RSS Christmas Drama Show. Tuesday, December 16, 7:30 pm. Short plays written and performed by Revelstoke Secondary students, about the many gifts we receive in our lives.
- Revelstoke Coffee House 3rd Annual Holiday Fundraiser Extravaganza Hootenanny Saturday, December 27, 7:30 pm. Tickets $15. This evening of talented musical performers will feature folk-jazz outfit The Metro Gnomes, Myra Morrison and The Tappalachian String Band. In addition to the feature acts, there will also be a handful of short performances by talented locals. Funds raised at the event will support the Revelstoke Coffee House, a monthly showcase of local talent that runs fall to the spring at The United Church.
And here are images from the Visual Arts Society’s Christmas Shop: