Our government recently introduced Bill C-26, which will bring tougher sanctions against those who prey on our most vulnerable, our children. Below is a snapshot of what this legislation will do. I know there are some who will react to bullet #7, however I believe that most countries around the world would not accept someone to enter their country with such a grave crime. That being said, Canada is making it very clear that it is not acceptable in our country.
Further, I believe that the public should know when someone is in their community that could be a threat to their children. They should not be able to hide behind a veil of privacy issues. That is why a publicly accessible databank is so important.
Bill C-26, The Tougher Penalties for Child Predators Act will:
- Require those convicted of contact child sexual offences against multiple children to serve their sentences consecutively – one after another;
- Require those convicted of child pornography offences and contact child sexual offences to serve their sentences consecutively;
- Increase maximum and minimum prison sentences for certain child sexual offences;
- Increase penalties for violation of conditions of supervision orders;
- Ensure that a crime committed while on house arrest, parole, statutory release or unescorted temporary absence, is an aggravating factor at sentencing;
- Ensure that spousal testimony is available in child pornography cases;
- Require registered sex offenders to provide more information regarding travel abroad;
- Enable information-sharing on certain registered sex offenders between officials responsible for the National Sex Offender Registry and at the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA); and
- Establish a publicly accessible database of high-risk child sex offenders who have been the subject of a public notification in a provincial/territorial jurisdiction to assist in ensuring the safety of our communities.
Should anyone have any question with regards to this legislation please contact me and I would be happy to discuss it.
David Wilks is the Coinservative Party MP for Kootenay Columbia. He can be reached by phone in Ottawa at 1-613-995-7246 or via e-mail at email@example.com. You can also contact his constituency office in Cranbrook. The office is located at 100 – B Cranbrook Street North, Cranbrook, British Columbia V1C 3P9. The office phone number is 250-417-2250