Fifteen people were displaced from their vacation rental home in the early morning of Tuesday, January 7, when Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services responded to a 911 call of a house fire in the 1900 block of Lennard Drive, specifically that smoke was emitting from light fixtures.
“Upon arrival the fire crews entered the smoke-filled structure to locate the hidden fire,” Fire Chief Rob Girard said in a statement. “Fire crews quickly determined when they opened up ceiling and wall spaces that the fire was in and around the fireplace. We began extinguishment which took some time due to how the fire advanced in the walls of the residence.”
He said all 15 occupants of the vacation rental residence were out of the building when firefighters first arrived on scene at 5:27 am and were uninjured.
The living room sustained substantial smoke and water damage around the stone fireplace due to the fire extension. Firefighters extinguished and overhauled the fire in just under 3 hours, with no injuries to any of the 20 Fire Personnel.
Emergency Social Services was also activated for the 15 occupants.
“We also appreciated the assistance from RCMP for traffic control and BC Ambulance for their Rehab services for our Firefighters,” Girard said.
As to the cause of the fire, he indicated that as this is in the CSRD fire Protection Area, the matter investigation would be turned over to the CSRD Fire Services Manager.
However, Girard said the fire appears to be related to the wood fireplace insert and venting.