The new aerial fire truck that the City borrowed $915,000 to purchase arrives in town on Thursday, January 16, at 3 pm.
This was a contentious purchase when the borrowing was approved in 2011 but the machine was deemed vital to the future of the Fire Rescue Service as, with its 100-foot ladders, it is the only fire vehicle capable of reaching the upper storeys of the lodge at RMR.
A statement from the City that was released late Wednesday afternoon said it is scheduled to arrive at 3 pm at the Fire Hall located at 227 Fourth Street West.
Officially designated as Ladder No. 6, this new vehicle was a demo model so the City actually saved a few bucks. It replaces the obsolete 37-year-old Scot Snorkel Apparatus currently in inventory.
The statement said “Ladder 6 will serve our community well for decades to come,” the statement said. “Once delivered, Ladder 6 will be cleaned and equipment will be unpacked and loaded onto the unit. Ladder 6 is expected to be in service in early January 2014 following 3 days of technical training for firefighters.”
It will be unveiled officially in the spring at a Fire Station Public Open House where it will be demonstrated by firefighters and be dedicated to all firefighters of the Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services.
- Ladder 6 is a 2013 demonstrator 100’ American LaFrance Aerial Platform Apparatus.
- It replaces 37 year old 55’ Snorkel 6 which is scheduled to be sold at auction.
- As a demonstrator it has been shown at Fire Chief Conferences, dealerships and Fire Departments in Philadelphia, Ohio and Detroit.
- Securing a demonstrator Aerial Platform resulted in substantial savings over a new piece of equipment.
- Ladder 6 has been configured and fully equipped to meet the special firefighting needs of our community.
- It is a Rear-Mount Platform apparatus and has the American LaFrance Eagle® chassis.
- The ladder is an all-steel construction with k-bracing, a dual-rod extension system and LED visibility lights on the 3 ladder sections.
- The modular platform device is a 1000 lb capacity with rescue basket, pike poles, roof ladder and roof ventilation tools.
- Ladder 6 has an oversized waterway system and has water flows from the platform of 2000 GPM.
- The 4 outriggers that stabilize Ladder 6 are an out and down style with the ability to provide short-jacking capability for different grade situations found in Revelstoke.
- Ladder 6 has general safety systems built in for our Revelstoke firefighter’s safety.
- Ladder 6 is equipped with a powerful Hale twin flow 2000 GMP fire pump designed for the toughest of fire situations.
- Ladder 6 is equipped with a powerful, yet economical 500 HP Cummins diesel engine with low emissions controls along with an Allison 4000 6 speed automatic transmission.
- Ladder 6 has a ground ladder storage compartment that is equipped with 6 ground ladders of various sizes that can be deployed for a variety of fire situations found in Revelstoke.