The Community Connections Food Bank’s Christmas Hamper Depot is opening for business on Monday, December 2, and will be open to the public Monday – Saturday until December 23 from 10 am until 3 pm each day.
The Christmas Hamper Depot will be located in the basement of the Royal Canadian Legion, 600 First Street West.
“The food bank is an essential service for our children, seniors and families and securing financial resources to purchase enough food remains our top priority and is an ongoing challenge,” says Food Bank Coordinator Patti Larson. “As the holiday season is arriving, we have our hands full with managing basic needs and also want to provide a special Christmas for our children, families and seniors.” The holidays can be stressful for struggling families and individuals. “We know that for those with low incomes, any slight change in expenses such as an increase in heating costs in the winter, can have an immediate and serious impact on an already stretched budget,” Patti said.
You can help the Christmas Hamper Program by:
- Making a charitable financial donation;
- Dropping off non-perishable food donations in the bins at Coopers and Southside or deliver them to the Legion during open hours;
- Organize a food drive at your office/school/church/event;
- Add a $2 coupon to your purchases at Coopers and Pharmasave;
- Donate your Save on More Points at Coopers;
- Sponsor a family or senior with gifts and food, or donate gifts to a person in need; or
- Pick an angel from the Christmas tree at CIBC and buy a gift for a child.
Here are the Food Bank’s most-needed food items:
Cans of tuna, salmon, ham and other meats; pasta, pasta sauce and tomatoes; chunky soups, meal in a tin (i.e. stew); breakfast cereals, pancake mix and syrup; fruit juice and canned milk; canned vegetables and fruit; peanut butter/jam; baby food, cereal and diapers; toiletries such as toothpaste, shampoo and soap; laundry detergent; and pet food, dry or canned.
Here are some ideas for other items to donate for Christmas Hampers: new unwrapped toys, books and games; gift boxes of cookies, tea or coffee, specialty foods; calendars, magazines, notepads, pens; candles, napkins, kitchen towels; gloves, scarves, socks; blankets, backpacks or gift cards from any local store.
For more information please contact Patti Larson at 250-837-2920, Ext #28. Or click here to send her an e-mail.