A Friday evening kitchen fire devastated a mobile home on Catherwood Road.
Fire Chief Rob Girard said the fire began at 9:02 pm and a 911 call yielded a swift response from the Fire Rescue Service., which sent 25 firefighters to the scene
“The (mobile home) park residents with the aid of several fire extinguishers were able to knock down as much as they could of the fire,” Fire Chief Rob Girard said in a statement on Monday. “All three occupants of the residence were out of the building when fire crews first arrived on scene.”
He said the building sustained substantial fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the remainder of the home.
Firefighters extinguished and overhauled the fire in just under 1 hour. No one was injured in the fire.
Emergency Social Services and neighbours helped the occupants find shelter.
Chief Girard that because the mobile home is in the Columbia Shuswap Regional District Fire Protection Area, the incident is under investigation by the CSRD’s fire services manager.
He called on people be careful when cooking on their stoves and always have a working fire alarm.