By David F. Rooney
All three elementary schools greeted the 2013/14 school year with a traditional Mug and Muffin event for parents and excited children on Wednesday morning.
The Current missed Begbie View Elementary’s meet-and-greet but did make it to the Mug and Muffin events at Columbia Park and Arrow Heights Elementary Schools.
The first day of school is always an abbreviated one and kids were sent home early Wednesday afternoon. Thursday day, however, will mark the start of normal school hours. Please click here to see the SD19’s schedule of school hours and school bus pickup times.
It is important for everyone to remember that we need to take special care with kids on the road at this time of year:
- All drivers need to remember that school zone speed limits of 30 kilometres per hour went into effect from 8 am to 5 pm, beginning September 4;
- School bus flashing red lights mean STOP from either direction;
- Please remember that children are on both sides of the road, and they are counting on you to stop when their bus has the red lights flashing;
- It is a motor vehicle violation to pass a school bus when the red lights are flashing. School District 19 bus drivers report all violators to the RCMP; and, finally,
- Parents — please remind your children that they should not cross the road until they have eye contact with the drivers.
Well, with those important safety messages out of the way here’s a glimpse of the first day at CPE and AHE: