By David F. Rooney
With one month to go until its 10-til-10 event, the Relay for Life kicked off its fundraising campaign at the Last Drop on Wednesday evening.
“The whole community has rallied behind the relay,” organizer Cheryl Fry said.
So far, 17 teams have registered for the June 12 Relay and she hopes for 26.
“That’s my personal goal,” she said. “I know Revelstoke can do. We’ve had 26 teams before.”
This year’s relay is being held at the Mountain View Elementary School ball field and, after the traditional Survivors Lap, will, says entertainment coordinator Sharlene Foisy, feature music by local bands, including Sister Girl, The Rev, Turtle Mountain, Hannah & Alex, KAMA, Bon St. John and Morgan Toutant.
There will also be healthy food concessions and excellent children’s activities, courtesy of Team Gloria, Fry said.
“We’re getting away from all-beef hot dogs and burgers because of concerns about nitrates and other additives,” she said, adding that its food concession will feature turkey dogs and chicken burgers. “We’ll also have sugar-free foods.”
Meanwhile, Relay for Life teams will this month be looking for donations to fight against cancer. Here are some of the events that are already scheduled:
- May 6 – Luminaries will be on sale at Coopers Foods from 11 am until 4 pm.
- May 7 – Team Powder Springs has cooking lessons starting at 5 pm at the Last Drop. Lessons are $10 each with $5 going to the Relay For Life. Call 250-837-5151 or drop into Powder Springs to sign up.
- May 13 – Team Community Connections will be selling homemade pet treats and children’s craft supplies from 11 am until 2 pm at Pharmasave. All proceeds go to Relay for Life.
- May 14 – Team Bloomin’ Yellow Roses is having a garage sale at 156 Greely Crescent from 8 am until 2 pm and will have Tim Horton’s coffee and Donuts available with all proceeds going to the Relay For lIfe.
- May 14 – Team Farmer Savers is having a garage/bake sale and a buy-a-bag-of-dirt sale at Pharmasave with all proceeds going to the Relay For Life.
- May 21 – Luminaries will be on sale at Coopers Foods from 11 am until 4 pm.
- June 4 – Luminaries will again be on sale at Coopers foods from 11 am until 4 pm.
- June 4 — Team The Dub will have donation cards at the A&W. Come and down make a donation to their team.
For additional information please call Cheryl Fry at 250-837-9462 or Tammy Kaler at 250-837-4677.