By David F. Rooney
The Wikileaks disclosures struck close to home with the release Monday of a US State Department cable that identifies foreign strategic assets whose loss would adversely impact the United States.
The “Secret/NoForn” cable, which carries the reference number 09STATE15113, identifies the Mica Dam, 128 kilometres north of Revelstoke, as a critical piece of infrastructure whose “failure would impact the Columbia River Basin.”
The list (see below) encompasses a hundreds of companies, industrial facilities, mines and other things that help prop up the US economy.
- Hibernia Atlantic undersea cable landing Halifax , Nova Scotia,
- Canada James Bay Power Project, Quebec: monumental hydroelectric power development
- Mica Dam, British Columbia: Failure would impact the Columbia River Basin.
- Hydro Quebec, Quebec: Critical irreplaceable source of power to portions of Northeast U. S.
- Robert Moses/Robert H. Saunders Power, Ontario: Part of the St. Lawrence Power Project, between Barnhart Island, New York, and Cornwall, Ontario
- Seven Mile Dam, British Columbia: Concrete gravity dam between two other hydropower dams along the Pend d’Oreille River
- Pickering Nuclear Power Plant, Ontario, Canada Chalk River Nuclear Facility, Ontario: Largest supplier of medical radioisotopes in the world
- Hydrofluoric Acid Production Facility, Allied Signal, Amherstburg, Ontario
- Enbridge Pipeline Alliance Pipeline: Natural gas transmission from Canada Maritime and Northeast Pipeline: Natural gas transmission from Canada
- Transcanada Gas: Natural gas transmission from Canada
- Alexandria Bay POE, Ontario:
- Northern border crossing Ambassador Bridge POE, Ontario:
- Northern border crossing Blaine POE, British Columbia:
- Northern border crossing Blaine Washington Rail Crossing,
- British Columbia Blue Water Bridge POE, Ontario: Northern border crossing Champlain POE, Quebec:
- Northern border crossing CPR Tunnel Rail Crossing, Ontario (Michigan Central Rail Crossing)
- International Bridge Rail Crossing, Ontario
- International Railway Bridge Rail Crossing Lewiston-Queenstown POE, Ontario:
- Northern border crossing Peace Bridge POE, Ontario:
- Northern border crossing Pembina POE, Manitoba:
- Northern border crossing North Portal Rail Crossing, Saskatchewan
- St. Claire Tunnel Rail Crossing, Ontario
- Waneta Dam, British Columbia: Earthfill/concrete hydropower dam
- Darlington Nuclear Power Plant, Ontario, Canada.
- E-ONE Moli Energy, Maple Ridge, Canada: Critical to production of various military application electronics
- General Dynamics Land Systems – Canada, London Ontario, Canada: Critical to the production of the Stryker/USMC LAV Vehicle
- Integration Raytheon Systems Canada Ltd. ELCAN Optical Technologies Division, Midland, Ontario, Canada: Critical to the production of the AGM-130 Missile
- Thales Optronique Canada, Inc., Montreal, Quebec: Critical optical systems for ground combat vehicles
- Germanium Mine
- Graphite Mine
- Iron Ore Mine
- Nickel Mine
- Niobec Mine, Quebec, Canada:
- Niobium Cangene, Winnipeg, Manitoba: Plasma
- Sanofi Pasteur Ltd., Toronto, Canada: Polio virus vaccine
- GlaxoSmithKile Biologicals, North America, Quebec, Canada: Pre-pandemic influenza vaccines