By David F. Rooney
Revelstoke’s business leaders gathered at the Community Centre Saturday to celebrate the annual Business Excellence Awards and to recognize Powder Springs Inn General Manager Emma Kirkland as the Business Person of the Year.
The hard-working and very popular Kirkland was enthusiastically endorsed by the guests at the Business Excellence Awards Dinner.
The annual event recognizes the accomplishments of local businesses in a variety of sectors. This year’s Business Excellence Award winners are:
- Woolsey Creek Cafe in the Food Service category, sponsored by the Royal Bank of Canada;
- Trans Canada Fitness in the Family-Friendly Business category, sponsored by the Revelstoke Early Childhood Development Committee;
- Alpenrose Bed and Breakfast in the Tourism and Hospitality category, sponsored by the Friends of Mount Revelstoke and Glacier;
- Joe Kozek Sawmill in the Manufacturing category, sponsored by Speers Construction Inc.;
- Valhalla Pure Outfitters in the Retail category, sponsored by Pharmasave;
- Bear Canyon Cabinets in the Go Green category, sponsored by BC Hydro;
- Crescendo in the Entrepreneurial category, sponsored by Revelstoke Credit Union;
- Wedgewood Weddings in the Home-Based Business category, sponsored by Community Futures Development Corp.;
- McDonalds in the Community Support category, sponsored by Columbia Basin Trust;
- Friends of Mount Revelstoke and Glacier in the Business of the Year category, sponsored by the Business Development Bank of Canada; and
- Emma Kirkland in the Business Person of the Year category, sponsored by Okanagan College.