Minor fire extinguished at RCEC facility

A fire at the Revelstoke Community Energy Corporation facility at Downie Street Sawmill caused some minor damage but will not interrupt the delivery of heat to the energy system, RCEC Chairman David Johnson said Wednesday.

“It was probably caused by an electrical fault,” he said. “Now it’s just a matter of cleaning it up and repairing the damage.”

The fire occurred Tuesday afternoon at about 2:31.

Fire Chief Rob Girard said “the initial attack team quickly extinguished a fully involved room, located it the rear of the facility.”

The fire flared up an interior wood frame construction wall from the fire room to the roof.

“This hidden fire extension made it difficult for fire crews to locate and extinguish due to the construction of the building with metal siding,” Girard said.

Firefighters extinguished and overhauled the fire in just under two hours.

The RCEC installation provides heat to a number of clients in the city.